 |
| New car for the trip for the big drop off to NC for 2 weeks of camp. |
 |
| Ellison's gear loaded up (with a few extra bags from friends). |
 |
| Super excited to start our journey and hit the Georgia state line. |
 |
| Enjoying a morning in Savannah. |
 |
| Reunited with her friend Tori for the final night before camp drop off. |
 |
| Very little sleep the night before, these two were beyond excited. Day is finally here! |
 |
| Heading to cabin!!!! |
 |
| Bunk bed all set up! |
 |
| Time for me to leave. |
It was last minute decision to sign Ellison up for two weeks at summer camp. Hoping to leave a lackluster 4th grade year behind her, we were certain that two weeks at camp was just what she needed. Ellison was very excited and could not wait to share the experience with her friend, Tori.
Ellison and I loaded up the car and started a two day road trip to North Carolina. We stopped in Savannah for the evening, enjoyed a quick walk around downtown and quickly got back on the road to complete our journey. Ellison was beyond excited to start camp.
At drop off, Ellison had a huge smile. We set up her cabin, hung up her hammock and received her schedule. When it was time to leave, I could feel her nervousness through the hug. It is hard to explain, but at that point, I could feel all of her emotions... and they were giant. It was hard to leave, I put my sunglasses on and boarded the bus. I shed some tears on the ride home and thought about turning back. I just wanted to know that she was ok.
When I went to camp, the internet was not a thing. Parents only had an occasional letter and maybe a phone call. Now, with the internet, camps can post pictures daily. I can not tell you how often I refreshed my screen in hopes of catching a glimpse of my girl. I refreshed a lot... so did Graham, my sister, my mom... a lot.
I tried not to read into the pictures, but it was hard. The pictures were meant to reassure us that camp was fun, girls were great, but I kept going back to that last hug and the emotions. A week and a half into camp and I received a letter. An emotional letter that camp was not always fun and that she missed home. A cried...big sobbing tears... all day. I fretted, I called the camp and I was told that she had been homesick, but was doing better.
I have spoken to a lot of people and most say they would have hopped in their car and picked her up. My mom, who was 1 hour away, offered to drive there. However, I resisted, Ellison is strong, she can persevere. Camp would make her stronger. Right?
Pick up day finally arrived. Graham and I could not wait to see our girl. As the bus pulled up into camp, we spotted her immediately... the excitement to see us beamed out of her and so did a lot of tears. We gathered her items, said good bye to counselors and hit the road for Grandma and Grandpa's house.
This is what I have to say about camp... if you ask Ellison, camp was not her favorite experience. From the pictures, she looks happy. However, her two weeks were filled with anxiety and a lot of tears. As a parent, I do not regret sending her to camp. I think she will look back on it at some point with some fond memories, but it is a little raw right now.
Why do I not regret sending her? Ellison has grown as an individual. She realized that if you have to change who you are to be someone's friend, then it is not worth it. She learned that friends will stick by you and up for you during good and tough times. She learned that there are a lot of nice people out there. Her relationship with God grew. She found her own strength.
For all of this I am thankful.
 |
| Reunited and it feels so good! |
 |
| Bye Bye! |
 |
| Beyond excited to see her brother. |
No comments:
Post a Comment