Monday, December 12, 2011

A Little Rant

Ok, its time for me to go on a little rant . . .

For the first three years of Ellison's life, we only watched TV that did not involve commercials.  That means PBS and Disney were our friends. My motto has always been "say no to Dora" and we have!

I guess it was around the time Ellison begain to love Strawberry Shortcake that I made the fatal error of turning on the channel, The Hub.  Enter new episodes of Strawberry Shortcake and the introduction to commercials. Kids commercials involve the WORST toys EVER INVENTED!!!!

Let me share a few examples...


The name of the game is "Doggie Doo".  SERIOUSLY?!?
It is bad enough that Ellison thinks poop is the funniest word
ever!  And that any joke can end with poop and be hillarious.

"Light Sprites" - the wand picks up colors and "magically" transmits them to the sprites. G
reat, just what we need, ugly dolls that don't play with anyone else. 
"Air Swimmers" are large balloons that you can fly around your house with a remote control.  Ridiculous.

So here is the thing, the ridiculousness does not stop with the above toys. My rant doesn't stop here either. I really don't care for stuffed animals.  A few are cute and did I save my favorite stuffed animals from childhood.  (Wait, let me clarify, I saved them and gave them to Ellison) In my opinion, to many stuffed animals amount to two things, 1. dust and 2. clutter. 

My poor husband has really struggled with my distaste for things stuffed.  Not because he is a hunter, but because he has a slight obsession with claw / crane games.  What are claw games? See below.


I am serious about this addiction. He will come home with 5 or 6 stuffed animals on a "good night". 
With your new found knowledge of my distaste for an abundance of stuffed animals, you can certainly understand why I find the following commercials annoying...

"Pillow Pets" - a pet that turns into a pillow.

"Puppet Petz" - a pet that turns into a pillow puppet.

"Happy Napper" - a pillow that turns into a pet.
Yes that is correct, three different variations on stuffed pillow pets. Awesome.  The worst part is that I actually caved and bought one for Ellison for Christmas. I am a sucker!

Now prepare yourself for the worst item ever.  A picture will just not do this item any justice...

The snuggie was one thing.  "Lazy Pants" are so unnecessary.  If you own a pair of "Lazy Pants", please do not ever wear them to a Gator Game (or in public). Ellison actually wants a pair.  Not for herself of course because they are "pants", but for her Daddy.  I refuse and will stick by my refusal... FOREVER.

I have one more commercial to share.  I actually love the product.  However, this holiday commercial is what  is called "false advertising". 
Poor Ellison has been searching the stores for the magical candles for over a week.  I don't have the heart to tell her that she is not going to find one quite as magical.

My rant is over.

No comments: