You know how some childhood memories stick with you and often times they are the oddist things?
Well, when I was 10ish, my Mom planned a "fun" trip to D.C. by train (she probably decided that was a bad idea about 10 minutes into the ride). I have a memory of arriving to D.C., heading to my Mom's friends home, and opening her fridge to only find yogurt. I remember my Mom blaming the lack of food on the fact that her friend was single and without children.
Hmmm... here is the thing... my fridge is always empty. I am married and have 2 kids. After I finished law school and studying for the Bar, I thought my empty fridge problem would stop. I headed to the grocery store with a list and stocked my fridge. However, a week later the food was gone and my pantry was bare. Things have not improved. In fact, I think they have gotten worse - I actually ran out of yogurt this weekend!
The truth is out. I fail at properly stocking a kitchen!
I guess the truth would not be as painful, if I actually did not like to cook. I do enjoy cooking. Ignore the fact that I set my stove top on fire last week. It was not my fault. I mean, yes, I was cooking on the stove top, but it was improperly installed (thats my story and I am sticking to it).
So here's the thing... after the fire, Ellison ran down the street and told every neighbor that "my mom set the kitchen on fire by her cooking." Once I caught up to Ellison, she was inside playing with her friend, Landon. His Mom was successfully cooking a delicious soup, similar to one that I had just noted on a magazine by folding down the corner (to probably never look at again).
I asked if it was the same recipe? It wasn't, but in the meantime I gave her an idea of what to add. What did she do? She opened up her pantry and pulled out the ingredients that I had inspired. Total pantry envy.
So as I stared at my very empty fridge and pantry this weekend, all I could think about was that memory of being 10 and staring at the empty fridge of my Mom's one single friend without kids. I always thought that friend was so cool (still do). I am not sure if my kids feel the same way about me and my empty fridge.... Oh well, my secret is out. At least I always have goldfish (and usually yogurt).

No comments:
Post a Comment