Thursday, May 16, 2013

Parental Fail

I have dreaded this post. 

We went to the Dentist for a family cleaning.  It was Dylan's first cleaning. He was perfect. Ellison went first and he was super excited for his turn in the chair.  When he finally got his turn, he loved every minute of it.  He stayed perfectly still for x-rays, let them clean away - Awesome, right?  I can take very little credit.  In fact, I was getting my teeth cleaned in another room. 

But let's go back to Ellison's turn. Let's get one thing straight, Ellison was happy to go to the dentist.  She was happy to sit in the chair.  She did wiggle, but then again she's Ellison. 

The failure part, like the epic fail - worst mom ever part, was the discovery of 2 cavities. I am not the best on bed time routine.  I have fought Ellison for 4 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks to brush her teeth.  I have jumped up and down, sang silly songs, told elaborate stories, begged, pleaded, and bribed her.  In the end, we were always lucky to have a quick brush of the teeth.  Add in sugar (she is sugar crazy) and working mother guilt = worst mother ever devastation! 

I know you are thinking that I am being dramatic.  Ok, I have realized that I am not the worst mother in the world.  However, I did feel horrible and continue to feel like I failed Ellison on that front.  I am happy to report that after the dentist visit, Ellison happily brushes and flosses twice a day.  I also took remedial measures and threw out every single piece of candy, plus Ellison's secret stash (recently discovered). 

So I have started a small list in my head on how I have not failed Ellison, 1. breast fed until 1; 2. never tasted soda; 3. never have juice in house; 4. ... Can I just blame Graham's genetics? 


No comments: