Thursday, July 18, 2013

Lesson Not Learned

Ellison listens and observes everything around her.  She remembers everything as well.  This has resulted in quite a few interesting phrases coming out of her mouth. 

The problem is that often the "items" should not be coming out of a 3, 4, or 5 year old mouth.  They are not always bad.  They are usually teenager sayings or observations on a situation that most children would not come to (although accurate observations).

The bigger problem is that Ellison has excellent timing. So mix together her age, subject, and perfect timing... she is hilarious.

Case in point:
(Please note that I do not condone the word used by Ellison.  She told me that she meant to exchange it with another word, but her phrase got ahead of her.  In the future, she would use the word "heck".  Still not ideal, but definitely better.)


 
 
So I don't use bad words around my children.  There are two words that most people may not consider "bad", but I do.  They are "stupid" and "hate".  Of course, I will occasionally use them and then need to backtrack. 
 
This week I was on the phone with Graham and forgot Ellison was in the car.  In conversation I said, "I'd be stupid to do that".  Ellison called me out of course.  She followed up with, "you know mom, you are pretty stupid if you are going to call yourself stupid.  That was stupid of you."  First, she was correct.  Second, don't kids love to actually use bad words when they think they can get away with it?  3 times in one statement - impressive.

No comments: